Saturday, March 29, 2014

Varkala, India | part III

So here it is, the third and final part of my 5 day trip to Varkala last February! It took me about five weeks to blog about this short but eventful week (which is quite a while... haha), however, I believe it gives all of you more time to appreciate the photos (and the effort :D). I took so many photos those five days with my beloved new camera, I was even taking photos lying on the floor of a boat whilst being sick. Yes, you will read all about that below...



Only three days in India and I feel ill. I slept till about 2 or 3pm. Despite feeling quite ill and longing for sleep, I couldn't just stay in bed the whole day. I mean, come on. You're in India Daisy, don't rot away in your bed. In the late afternoon my mom and I took a tuctuc to the backwaters of Varkala (For some incomprehensible reason my sister did not want to come with, that's insane, right?). This boat was a lot smaller than the one from the previous day. It was made out of wood and it obviously did not have an engine. The canoe took us to Ponnumthuruth Island, better known as Golden Island. On this island stands a Shiva Parvathi temple, called 'Thuruthu Kshethram' by the natives. The temple is more than 100 years old and lies between a crowd of palm trees. As I mentioned in the previous post, the backwaters were extremely quiet. And by that I mean that there were no tourists at all. Not a soul to be seen...
When arriving on the island, we had to write our names and address in a logbook. To my greatest surprise, the lady above us was from Luxembourg too! What are the chances. The temple was under construction and there wasn't too much to see. Nevertheless it was a nice walk around the island - until I started feeling extremely lightheaded and almost fainted, oops. The man and woman in charge, couldn't have been friendlier hosts. They cared for me, they insisted that I had some tea, and when I declined their offer at first - since I am not a huge tea lover - they prepared the tea anyway.
And the tea really helped.



*iPhone quality*


On our way back to the mainland, I sat on the floor of the canoe, still feeling a bit lightheaded. When sitting in this wooden canoe sailed - or should I rather say "pushed forward with a 5 meter long bamboo stick" - by a humble Indian man, you gaze into the horizon, seeing an endless row of palm trees at the water's edge, you get the most amazing feeling. Such tranquility and serenity... I remember how I thought to myself: "I better enjoy this moment as much as I possibly can. Tomorrow you will think back and you will miss this more than anything. This very moment. Capture it, remember it." The view you get to see there is not something you get to see every day. So even though I almost fainted, I couldn't just sit there with my eyes closed.

 


Our tuctuc driver suggested to go to a British Fort in Anchuthengu, known as 'Anjengo Fort'. We had a lot of time on our hands so we thought, sure, why not! After a rather long tuctuc ride, we arrived to a closed gate. Sure was a shame, but I really enjoy sitting in rickshaws - letting the wind breeze through your hair and getting to see many locals who all stare back at you - so I did not mind. At a certain point we asked the tuctuc driver to stop for a minute, so we could set foot on a beautiful and deserted beach. We walked over a little pathway which lead to the beach, with halfway a little house with a very poor family. The bottle of water I was holding in my hands no longer belonged to me, haha. "Pens, ma'am, pens! Do you have any pens ma'am?" the kids were asking. Any place you go to in India, kids will ask for pens. Something you should definitely bring (a couple of hundred from) along if you ever go to India!
Standing for no longer than two minutes on the beach, our tuctuc driver comes running and says: "we have to leave, now. It's not safe". And that was out short visit to the deserted, but beautiful, and apparently, dangerous, beach...



The boy on the left was so shy, and they both were so fascinated by a camera. I suppose they don't come across blank people too often. (It wasn't as dark as it looks, the flash makes it looks like it is midnight).





Our last day consisted of relaxing on the beach, drinking numerous fresh juices and having supper with the most magnificent view of the sun setting in the sea. In the evening we went to see a Kathakali show. My mom and I had seen it last year, but my sister had not yet seen it and I think it's worthwhile. Before you watch the actual show, you can see the performers applying their makeup and putting on their costumes. Their costumes were made out of many different layers: empty rice bags to add volume, covered by a white curtain or sheet. The show is all about the face expressions, the body movements, the makeup and the costumes. The show tells a story of an ugly demoness who tries to seduce a wealthy prince by transforming into a beautiful girl. However, the prince knows better and fights the beautiful girl as she does not leave him alone.


Writing this final post and scrolling through all my photos again makes me miss India an awful lot. I feel guilty saying this as I have been to India twice within a year, but I sure hope to visit India sometime soon again, and discover more of its wonders! :)

6 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! Good vibes flowing from them!

    http://doloresaonzule.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! Your pictures are beautiful!
    xo
    styleontheside.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an amazing post! I haven't see such a beautiful and unique landscape in years! I really have to go there soon!

    love Theri from http://www.theriswardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you write, funny and informative! I agree, it's crazy for your sister to miss out! :-) It's great how you kept up your energy regardless of being ill and your mindset about it all was really positive. These are some beautiful pictures! I'm currently back-tracking my adventures too, they are moments I really don't want to forget and I guess capturing the moment is the right way to put it- writing about it. Can't wait to read more of your posts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the exact same way! I take so many quality, beautiful photos of a spectacular place & I just want to load them all! Safe travels. ;D

    <3 Carsla
    Founder & CEO of Connect-the-Cloths
    www.connect-the-cloths.com
    http://blogspotter.co/connect-the-cloths/
    A stylist, foodie, & writer's blog in development.

    ReplyDelete